Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Tagged by Anu!

I've been tagged for the first time and I'm actually quite excited about it. Does that make me a big dork, if being tagged on Blogger is the highlight of my day? Anyways, here goes:

"The Challenge: Make a list of five strengths that you possess as a writer/artist. It’s not really bragging, it’s an honest assessment (forced upon you by this darn meme). Please resist the urge to enumerate your weaknesses, or even mention them in contrast to each strong point you list. Tag four other writers or artists whom you’d like to see share their strengths.”


This is a tough one for me because I'm not the world's most positive person, not even close actually. So, talking strengths is not my thing. Also, the question kinda makes me feel like I'm sitting for a job interview- almost want to open up my file and start brandishing my certificates! I bet you didn't know I was 'student of the month' in 6th grade! Anyways, despite all my apprehensions, I gave this tag some thought and here's what I came up with:

1. Honesty and simplicity: Honesty is a quality that's very important to me. So, I try to keep my stories honest. I like writing that is simple and true. No pretensions, no flowery language, no fancy words! Its another issue that all the GRE vocabulary that I crammed into my head never made it past my short term memory- so I cant use fancy words even if I wanted to. Oops, did I 'enumerate my weekness'? Did I break the rules? Told you that I didn't have a single positive bone in my body!

2. Appreciation for humor: I really appreciate writing that's humorous, especially if its subtle, sarcastic and witty. Though this may not count as a strength in my writing, I think this appreciation helps improve my writing. I think writing humorously without overkill is extremely difficult and so the few who are able to write like this, just know 'I bow to thee!'

3. Endings : I like stories with powerful endings- I'm a big fan of O'henry because all his short stories have powerful and unpredictable endings. So, I attempt to write stories with endings that either surprise or neatly connect all the pieces of the story together.

4. I try: I think the fact that I try to write is a strength in itself. I've always loved to write. When I was little, I used to watch my grandpa sit in his chair and write every night. Maybe I bothered him too much and he just wanted to give me something to do, but one day, he gave me a notebook of my own. I used to sit beside him every night and write little stories in that notebook. Despite the fact that they all started with 'Once upon a time' and ended with 'happily ever after', I was so proud of these stories. Every poor visitor to our house was forced at gunpoint to read them! During middle and high school, I went around telling anyone who cared to listen that I wanted to become a journalist. I became a writer for the school newspaper, attended journalism seminars and even wrote for the city newspaper. But nothing much happened of that dream as I followed the 'path most taken' toward conformity and Computer science. After that, I never really wrote much until I started blogging. So, the fact that I started blogging and have been trying to write again is by far the strength I'm most happy about.

There... thats a challenge successfully completed. Yeah, I know I was supposed to list 5 strengths, but I can't put up with any more positive-ness and really, how long can a person talk about herself?!

I would like to tag:
G - He's exploring his passion for photography in the midst of a busy schedule and I would love to hear about 5 strengths he possesses as a photographer!
Mansi - She's one of those funny and witty writers I love.
my sis, Sowmya - She's an awesome writer but refuses to start a blog. Maybe this will help start her off.

14 comments:

Anu said...

I should say there is something about your writing thats fresh.... its very diffrent from the usual blogging style yet uniquely your own which lends a very original flavor to it...

you should take up writing seriously... may be come up with a book!!!!

Dhivya said...

Gee...Thanks Anu! You've made my day with that comment! :D

Karthik Balasubramanian said...

U really have some strengths divya.. great post.. I would struggle to list out strengths even in an interview..

Anonymous said...

Nice! And also, PUHLEASE! "How long can a person talk about herself"? As a person who has very often served as a one-man audience to your long, drawn-out "O WOE IS ME!" rants, I beg to differ.

I like O'Henry too. His endings are nice...if you can sit through the rest of his book.

And I won't be starting a blog anytime soon. I wouldn't be able to handle all that FAME! Can you imagine the riots I would cause if I took to the net? No thanks.

Dhivya said...

@BK
Thanks! Btw, I think you'll have to do it too since Anu tagged you as well! Good luck! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

@Sowmi
Maybe I should have been more specific- All those rants that you witnessed were never ever positive. So, what I really meant to say is 'How long can I talk GOOD about myself?'

I'm sure if you start a blog, you will cause a riot- U are bound to offend someone with your sarcastic loud-mouthedness...and I mean that in the nicest way! But even jus readin your comments makes me wish o so badly that you would start a blog. You would really give other bloggers out there a run for their money!

cm chap said...

Hey Dhivya... Somethg unique about ur writings I relaised are:

Joy: You write with joy and it makes joy to read.

As u said no big vocab: That's ur strength for sure. Most people generally use gyans and scare the reader. i'm glad you are not the one.

Dhivya said...

@cm-chap
I'm glad to hear you enjoy readin my blogs. Keep readin!

Macadamia The Nut said...

Very very endearing Divya. Like the way you write

Mansi Trivedi said...

Thank you so much Dhivya! I love your writing.. :)

Harish said...

Wonder.....what wld have happened to ppl like us without blogs?????

If someone cld pay me some decent money to blog...I am ready to throw away my profession :P

Dhivya said...

@macademia

Thanks! Keep visiting.

@Mansi

Thanks Mansi... Can't wait to see what you come up for that tag.

@Harish

I can't agree with you more- It's such a blessing- Blogging is.

Angry Voices said...

Once upon a time, there was a blogger who was looking for a change. Some internet scuba diving later he found a clear pool of fresh writing. There was a wicked watch that stopped many more writings, but the blogger would always return to this little lily pad in an ocean of deep wells. And read happily ever after.

Sirpy said...

Ah.. Dhivya, I would call that one of the best assessments ever. And appreciation for humor IS a huge strength. It is not easy, blending humor in without destroying the purpose. Keep writing...:)

Dhivya said...

@angry voices
If by that clear pool of fresh writing, you mean my blog- then I'm flattered. If not, tell me where to find it! ;)

@Sirpy
Thanks- Yep, writing humorously can be challenging. But you are quite good at it. Care to teach us mere mortals some tricks?